SAR-VANG-ASANA the Meaning of this asana.
Sarva means – Whole
Anga means- The body
Asana – Posture
The entire body lift up to words the sky
THE WRITE ASANA POSITION:
Sarvangasana final position concentrate on getting the legs, waist and the back in one straight line and making this line 90 degrees with the ground. In this asana the arms up to the elbows support to hold the body on the floor, shoulder width apart. The body from the feet to the shoulders is in a vertical line. The chest is pushed forward and the chin is placed in the throat pit / jugular notch forming a tie which is called ‘Jalandhar Bandha’. All the pressure is on the neck, shoulders and the back of the head. The hands are placed on the back ribs, the legs are straight and the feet are relaxed.
Back to the normal position:
- Inhale and while exhaling bend in the waist and lower the legs over the head, releasing the hands from the upper back.
- Inhaling slowly lower the back to the floor, keeping the legs at a 90 degree angle from the floor. Here lower the back very slowly.
- Exhaling slowly lower both legs back to the supine position
Awareness during the Final position.
Keeping the body in a straight line.
Normal abdominal breathing.
The concentration should be on the throat and the thyroid.
The right Way to do Sarvangasana.
- Keep the legs straight in knees with toes pointing to the sky.
- Try and keep the body in a straight line from the chest to the tips of the toes.
- Head straight and eye sight fixed on the toes.
- Make sure that the trunk is raised enough vertically so that the chin can comfortably rest against the chest.
Benefits of Sarvangasana
The Jalandhar Bandha improves the function of the thyroid, parathyroid and pituitary glands due to the increase oxygen and blood. All of the other endocrine glands are regulated by the pituitary gland and so the overall function of the endocrine system is improved. This results in the improved functioning of all other systems of the body and the reduction of emotional and mental stress.
- Stagnant blood from the lower regions of the body, i.e. legs and abdomen is drained to the heart thereby improving the supply of fresh blood to these parts and the whole circulatory system. Blood supply to the head area i.e. brain, eyes, ears, nose and throat is improved thereby improving their functioning. Therefore all of the pelvic and abdominal area circulation, ear, throat and nose ailments are improved.
- The lung capacity is increased as the diaphragm, which is the muscle of respiration, has to work against gravity in this posture, this helps in the abdominal respiration and is therefore helpful in the treatment of asthma. Toxins in the respiratory system are drained thereby improving the respiratory system.
- Prevents and cures varicose veins.
- Normalizes body weight due to its effect on the thyroid.
- Due to the effect this asana has on the hormonal system, particularly the thyroid, it balances the circulatory, digestive, reproductive and nervous system.
- Due to the increased blood flow to the head the mind is tranquilized, stress and psychological disturbances are removed.
- The increased blood flow can be beneficial for those who suffer from headaches, though it should not be practiced at the time of headache.
- The thymus gland is stimulated which boosts the immune system.
- It balances the parathyroid glands which ensures regeneration and normal development of the bones.
- It releases the normal gravitational pressure from the anus muscles which helps with haemorrhoids.
- The nerves passing through the neck are toned and the neck flexibility is increased.
- The digestive system is greatly improved due to the increase in blood circulation and drainage of stagnant blood.
Sarvangasana Benefits for Women:
- It is beneficial for the reproductive system as there is fresh blood to the pelvic region as the stagnant blood is flushed from the organs and therefore increased efficiency of the reproductive organs.
- It strengthens the uterine ligaments as the gravity acting on the ligaments in Sarvangasana is in the opposite direction.
- It improves the functioning of the ovaries.
- It helps to balance the moods and calm the mind.
Therapeutic Application of Sarvangasana
Prevention of cough and colds