Liquid Diet Weight Loss Facts
We have to admit that some of us want to lose weight-fast! Some people even end up trying almost everything just to look for that fast and effective weight loss diet. One of the newest craze in “weight loss town” happens to be the liquid diet.
There have been lots of skepticism about this diet but it is indeed one of the fastest ways to shed off those extra pounds but wait because there’s a catch. It may be a very effective weight loss diet; there are lots of warnings given out by medical professionals about it which is why before jumping into this type of diet you may want to educate yourself first about what a liquid diet for weight loss is really about.
What is a Liquid Diet?
Liquid diet weight loss from the name itself, a liquid diet is a kind of diet that restricts a person to take in solid foods and consume liquids instead. The way this diet work will actually depend on the type of liquid diet you are into. Say for example you are into clear liquid diets, therefore your diet is mainly made up of clear liquids and if you are medically advised to follow this diet. You may have to stick to liquids that are literally transparent.
There are also liquid diets that let you eat a single meal throughout the day and replace the other two meals with a liquid while others allow you to have snacks or meals in between.
Liquid Diet Weight Loss Tips
A liquid diet may seem something very new for most people and there will always be those of us who might be afraid to try it. But don’t worry because here are a few tips that may come in handy for those who want to give this a shot.
- Find a self-sustaining Liquid Solution
One of the most common impression that people have about liquid diets is that it is low in calorie making it effective for weight loss but the this not the case at all because sticking to liquids alone is a very unhealthy way of dieting which is why looking for the right liquid solution is crucial. Go for meal-replacement liquids as they are the ones that are packed with the needed nutrients of our body and may also contain antioxidants.
- Be conscious of your caloric intake
Don’t take this tip the other way. You will need to keep a close eye on your calories while on a liquid diet not because you might take in too much calories but you need to monitor it in order to ensure that your body is taking in a decent amount of calories. Although getting rid of calories is the best way to weight loss our bodies still need a decent amount in order for it to function properly. We need at least 1200 calories a day for our bodies to function properly. Remember: a liquid diet meal solution should have 500 calories or more, in liquid solutions having 420 calories or lesser is harmful to the health.
- Do eat solids once in a while
There are so many precautions about a liquid diet and one of which is the fact that it is not for long term use. Dieters in this diet should remember that not all nutrients needed by the body can be acquired from liquids alone. It is said that a liquid diet may be followed no longer than 3 months. You can incorporate lean meat and vegetables in your meals for extra strength and energy.
- Exercise would not be necessary for this diet
Exercising while on a liquid diet would no longer be necessary because this is the type of diet where weight loss happens rapidly but if you are overweight then it may help but before doing this make sure to consult your physician first if exercising is advisable on the type of liquid diet that you are in.
- Consult a doctor before you decide on getting on this diet
Getting an expert’s opinion is crucial to every diet we plan on shifting to most especially if it’s a liquid diet we’re talking about. Doctors would be able to assess if our body is capable of getting through the diet and dietitians and nutritionists would be able to explain to us the right ways on getting into the diet as well as educating us about the risks involved. If it so happens that the liquid diet is not for you, don’t worry because dietitians would be able to give an alternative and definitely the best one that will suit you and your needs.
Why do People get into Liquid Diets Weight Loss?
- Apparently the most common reason for people to try on this diet is because of their want and perhaps need to lose weight. Because solid foods are excluded in this diet, calorie intake is much lower thus weight loss happens.
- People who want to lose weight fast will most likely choose this diet. As explained earlier because this diet does not include solid foods losing weight happens at a faster pace.
- There is still no definite study to support that liquid diet is the best option to detoxify our bodies but there are people who believe that detoxification through liquid diet occurs through the elimination of toxins and contaminants from the body.
What are the disadvantages of Liquid Diet Weight Loss?
We now know for a fact that liquid diets help a person slim down rapidly but there are dangers associated with this too.
- The reason why people lose weight in this liquid diet is because of very low calorie intake and our bodies’ metabolism is greatly affected. When we take very low calories our body starts storing in more fat as part of its mechanism and we know that this is the total opposite of the goal.
- Liquid diets are low in fiber intake causing diarrhea and constipation. Apart from fiber, a liquid diet also lacks other nutrients too.
- Sticking to liquid diets alone makes it impossible for a person to get all the needed nutrients our body needs this is why doctors advise dieters to not stick to this for more than 3 months as this is not meant for long term basis. Although there are supplements to compensate for the lacking nutrients and vitamins still it is not enough.
Do Liquid Diet Weight Loss Really Work?
Liquid Diet Weight Loss
At this point, we now know that liquid diets do work for people wanting to lose weight. Like the principle behind most weight loss diet—the low consumption of calories means weight loss. But because a liquid weight loss diet is meant for short-term only, the weight will eventually return once we resume the diet we have so in order for our bodies to stay on the right weight; there is that essential need of change in eating habits.
Researchers recommend that liquid diets should also involve food in their meal plan. This way, caloric intake is controlled but the nutrients needed are still acquired by eating solid foods.
Is There a Way to safely get on Liquid Diet Weight Loss?
There are definitely ways to safely get into a liquid diet for weight loss. You may follow these simple steps:
- Consult your doctor if a liquid diet is the best diet for you if you want to lose weight. There are people who SHOULD NOT get on this diet such as pregnant women and breastfeeding women as well as diabetics.
- If your doctor gives an approval that you may go on with a liquid diet you then have to see a certified dietitian next. Dietitians will be able to help you come up with a good meal plan where you not only get to lose weight but more importantly you get the needed nutrients. You may be advised to take in supplements while on a liquid diet as there are certain nutrients that cannot be acquired from drinking liquids alone.
A liquid diet is something that most doctors would not recommend not unless a person medically needs it. Although it is a very effective weight loss diet there is that big stress on making sure to consult a doctor and dietitian because there are hazards that go with this diet.
If we want to really lose weight, we need to exercise regularly and get on with a healthy and balanced diet. Most people get the misconception that liquid diets are a short cut to weight loss. In a short span of time you may get rid of the extra weight but if you want to stick to that you may need to make changes in your lifestyle and eating habits and not stay with liquid diets only